Monday, September 21, 2009

Weekend Observations

No new column today.

Had a great weekend with my Wife's parents, so didn't have any time to crank any thing out.

A few news, notes, and observations from the past couple of days:

- On Friday, I wrote 2,000 words about the season premiere of "The Office" and the series premiere of "Community" and believe me, it was brilliant. But I got some quirky technical issue message when I went to post it and I guess I erased everything I had written (and you can't duplicate genius). Basically thought "The Office" was back in a big way (love the self-contained episodes the best) and really excited about the potential of "Community".

Huh, guess I didn't need 2,000 words after all.

- Simply put, college football is off to a GREAT start.

- Bears, Bengals, and Texans surprised me with wins. How in the world do you stop or even slow down the Saints? (at least they made it quick and painless for me) So happy to see the Cowboys lose their home opener in that Babylonian mega-plex (almost turned the game off when they started comparing it to the 7 Man-Made Wonders of the World. Seriously?) The Jets and 49ers might be better than I thought. The Packers might not be as good as I thought. And who could have imagined this time last year that the Broncos D would be their strong suit in 2009 (better enjoy these wins now, that murderer's row stretch on the schedule is lurking). Then again, it is only week two and everything will probably be completely different in the league a month from now.

- Can't believe I called Jon Cryer winning the Emmy over Neil Patrick Harris. PS - I don't think I can watch award shows anymore. I get too personally invested and then too infuriated and then realize I wasted all of that energy on something pointless. I like the shows I like. I will watch them and enjoy them and let the morons vote for their favorite morons.


- "Mad Men" was the only thing I was pulling for that actually took home a statue. Steve Carell, Jim Parsons, Neil Patrick Harris, Kristen Wiig, Jon Hamm, "The Office", and "How I Met Your Mother" all went home empty handed. It was a rough night for my rooting interests in every category.

- Then again, NPH is getting tremendous reviews for his job as the Emmy host. He might be the best "entertainer" we have alive right now - you know, in that Bob Hope kind of way.

- And finally, speaking of "HIMYM" and NPH, it's so nice that both return in a new episode TONIGHT (I will finally have all of my favorite shows back on the air after this evening)!! "Mother" returns at 7:00 p.m. MST (that's 8:00 p.m. for you East Coasters - not fun doing the math, is it?) and "The Big Bang Theory" is back at 8:30 p.m. MST (9:30 p.m. on the East side).

How was your weekend? Any thing fun or interesting? Any thoughts on football, new shows, or the Emmys?

Feel free to comment...

No comments: