Thursday, September 17, 2009

If I Were King, NBC Would Be Too

You can blame my buddy Gray for this one.

Since the debut of Leno this week we have been text debating heavily about NBC's past, present and future.

Some great points were raised and made by both of us but Gray finally did it. He pushed me over the edge and basically dared me to present a full, thought-out plan about what I would do if I was running NBC.

I took the bait and at first freaked out because when I think of NBC, I think of a post-apocalyptic wasteland; but the more I looked into it, the easier it got - my vision actually feel together pretty quickly.

The problem isn't that NBC has bad shows, the problem is that it has decent shows in bad timeslots. Currently, nothing works together or effectively against the competition. That's what NBC used to be so good at but has gotten away from. Frantic decisions to wade into the dirty waters of Reality TV and Leno have sent the network spiraling into a frenzied, unorganized mess.

This is just one man's opinion, but here's what NBC's 2009 fall schedule would look like if I were King.

NIGHT-BY-NIGHT BREAKDOWN:

> MONDAY: "The Biggest Loser" (8:00 p.m.), "Mercy" (10:00 p.m.)

Girls night to go up against Monday Night Football


> TUESDAY: New Multi-Camera Sitcom (8:00 p.m.), "Community" (8:30 p.m.), "Law & Order: SVU" (9:00 p.m.), "Trauma" (10:00 p.m.)

Bring back a multi-camera sitcom (you're telling me in this current political climate that a more polished version of Tyler Perry's "House of Paynes"/old-school "Cosby Show" wouldn't work on network TV now?) put new-comer "Community" behind it, and cap the evening with a nice pairing of "Law & Order" and "Trauma"


> WEDNESDAY: "Heroes" (8:00 p.m.), New Western Drama (9:00 p.m.), New Time Period Drama (10:00 p.m.)

Fantasy night! Have "Heroes" lead off the night at 8, then bring back a rugged western with a love story at 9, and then find another grity, more mature time period piece (like "Mad Men" or "Rome") for the 10 p.m. From a marketing, and creative stand-point, this is my favorite night of the week.


> THURSDAY: New Kristen Wiig Variety Show (8:00 p.m.), "Parks & Rec" (8:30 p.m.), "The Office" (9:00 p.m.), "30 Rock" (9:30 p.m.), "Southland" (10:00 p.m.)

I’ve been clamoring for a Kristen Wiig (Carol Burnett-type) variety show for YEARS now. Follow that with a great night of single camera comedies and then bring back "Southland" to Thursday night (it's going to die on Friday by the way).


> FRIDAY: Bravo Rebrodcast of "America's Top Model" (8:00 p.m.), Bravo Rebroadcast of "Top Chef" (9:00 p.m.), "Dateline" (10:00 p.m.)

No one watches TV on Friday nights and NBC is a media partner with Bravo, so why not help out both networks by rebroadcasting their top shows of the week to get a little more buzz? Only helping yourself all the way around. I'm sure there is a TON of legal stuff that would keep this from ever happening, but this is my one think-out-side-the-box idea.


> SATURDAY: "Saturday Night at the Movies" (8:00 p.m.), Encore presentation of buzz-worth drama (10:00 p.m.)

Bid high on movie rights (probably wouldn't even have to for films produced by Universal so NBC is owned by them) and bring back a "Saturday Night at the Movies" feel, especially for families. Then rebroadcast your best drama of the week. Oh, Bradley Cooper from "The Hangover" was on "Trauma" and you missed it? Well, here you go.


> SUNDAY: "Sunday Night Football"

Football. Enough said.


There. I only created four new shows and pulled some strings for the Bravo shows. Everything else was already there - and it's not that bad, if managed properly.

My personal opinion is that this new lineup is not only cutting edge, but it has a vision and a purpose and flows cohesively.

I know it will never happen, but I guess it's just nice to know that it could.

You’re welcome NBC.

No comments: