Thursday, February 18, 2010

American Idol Recap: Ranking the Top 24

Finally!

We finally made it to the Top 24, boys and girls.

Overall, I have to say that I'm really impressed with the judges' choices and I'm looking forward to the main course portion of the American Idol feast. And to get things started, I decided to do my personal rankings of the Top 12 guys and the Top 12 girls.

My rankings are a blend of personal opinion and who I legitimately think could win the show based on talent and personality. These rankings aren't necessarily reflective of who I believe will win the show, just where I think they stand going into the actual competition part of the contest.

I can't wait to hear from you though! Who do you think should have made it? Who do you think should NOT have made it? And who do you like to win it all?

Let the season officially begin...

THE GIRLS


NA Siobhan Magnus – Who? I just don’t remember her at all.

11. Haeley Vaughn – I would never pay money to see her in concert or purchase her album.

10. Paige Miles – No way she was better than Angela Martin. NO WAY.

9. Ashley Rodriguez – A little too boring and bland for me which means she will probably wind up winning it all.

8. Janell Wheeler – Has a good look and could definitely make a run as the American sweetheart if she can keep her emotions in check and get a little more comfortable with the Idol machine.

7.Crystal Bowersox – Like her voice but I just can’t get past her teeth. I know it shouldn’t matter, but when you have to sit there and watch someone’s mouth, it’s becomes a real issue. In such an image-driven country, I just can’t see her sticking around too long if she doesn’t get that fixed ASAP.

6.Katelyn Epperly – Cute enough to be a legit dark horse, but she has to tap into that star persona quickly because she can’t last very long on her voice alone.

5. Didi Benami – She is the Donovan McNabb of American Idol contestants. When she’s calm and collected, there may not be anyone better, but when she lets her emotions get the best of her, she can easily derail.

4. Lilly Scott – I’m not trying to be a homer, but I really like Lilly from Littleton! I’m always a fan of a unique voice and unique personality and will be cheering for her as far as she can go.

3. Michelle Delamor – My Wife and I both agreed that she looks like a young Whitney, now the question becomes if can she sound like a young Whitney.

2. Lacey Brown – Another distinctly unique voice and am happy for her that she gets a shot at redemption after being bounced at the same point in the show last season.

1. Katie Stevens – I’m not necessarily comfortable calling her the favorite from the females but she has a likable personality and possesses one of the few power voices in the field which could help her stand out a bit..

THE GUYS

12. Joe Munoz – He made it? Really? He just doesn’t even LOOK like a singer or entertainer, let alone an American Idol. Really?

11. Alex Lambert – A little too young and green to be considered a serious contender at this point.

10. Aaron Kelly – Not as talented (or even attractive) as David Archuleta. I was actually kinda surprised he made the cut, especially with forgetting the lyrics so often. I guess he was the best option to fill the role of the clean-cut wholesome kid.

9.Lee Dewyze – I don’t remember him AT ALL from the auditions or any part of Hollywood week. He was the guy I thought for sure was going home but he slipped through and maybe I just need to see more from him because he seems to have a decent voice and appears to be a good guy. Just can’t see someone named “Dewyze” as the American Idol though. Can’t escape that.

8. “Big Mike” Lynche – I like his style and vibe a lot, but was not impressed with his Jason Mraz cover during Hollywood week. I’m just never going to be a fan of safe and generic.

7.John Park – All the other Idol bloggers and recappers that I read already want to anoint John as the early favorite, but I just don’t see it or get it yet.

6. Tim Urban – Being cut right from the Kris Allen cloth is great news for him and bad news for us.

5. Casey James – I don’t think I would have liked Casey a few years ago (remember Ace Young?), but maybe I’m getting soft in my old age because I could really dig this guy as long as he doesn’t let the success go to his head and turn into a tool (remember Ace Young?).

4. Jermaine Sellers – One of my favorites from the auditions but made me a little nervous when he threw the band under the bus during Hollywood week.

3.Tyler Grady – Being a classic rock fan, he’s already one of my personal favorites in Top 24. I’m trying so hard not to get too attached because that’s always the kiss of death for the contestants I like.

2. Todrick Hall – He’s one of the few that already seems to have some semblance of a superstar personality. He’s so comfortable on the stage and could eventually prove to be a legitimate entertainer. I’m not totally sold on the vocals yet but he has enough of the Idol package already to let that slide… for now.

1. Andrew Garcia – Man, you hate to be this hot this early but this is his show to lose right now.

1 comment:

Ashley Bailey said...

Hello,
I can't blame people for thinking Angela Martin is better than Paige Miles because not alot was shown of Paige. Paige will show you what her voice is made of tomorrow night. She is much better than Angela and pretty much every single one of the other girls. American Idol knows what they are doing. Saving the best for last!!!