Monday, December 21, 2009

A Colorado Christmas Story Bonus Material: If You Want to Help...

It's Christmastime
There's no need to be afraid
At Christmastime, we let in light and we banish shade
And in our world of plenty we can spread a smile of joy
Throw your arms around the world at Christmastime


I love comedian Dane Cook's bit about how when you see those "help the children" commercials and the spokesman is always too nice. Cook makes the point that the guy doing those ads should be screaming in your face and berating to give more to help out the kids.

Today, I'm going to be that guy.

We were in church yesterday and watched a video about people in Africa that die because they don't have clean water to drink.

This concept broke my brain.

I burn HUNDREDS of dollars a year on bottles of water to drink and some kid is throwing up right now because he can't get one clean sip of water?

Unbelievable.

I understand that there's some areas of the world where resources are limited, but in this case it's just a matter of these people not being able to dig far enough into the ground to access a healthy water supply.

We can actually do something about that.

Click here for more information on the Africa Oasis Project

Pray for the other ones
At Christmastime it's hard, but when you're having fun
There's a world outside your window

And it's a world of dread and fear

If you want your donations to go to people closer to home, our church is also involved with a downtown Denver outreach program called Sox Place that ministers to youth living on the streets.

This coming Saturday, I will be going downtown to help serve some pizzas and hang out with some of the youth (my poor Wife has to work) and am looking forward to getting more involved with that project in the coming months.

Click here more information about Sox Place

The only water flowing is the bitter sting of tears
And the Christmas
bells that ring there are the clanging chimes of doom
Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you


The outreach that my Wife and I are most excited about getting involved with is right in our back yard, here in Parker, CO. We are going to start volunteering at least one Saturday a month with the Parker Task Force which reaches the needs of people in our neighborhoods that aren't necessarily homeless or officially poor, but are living all around us and struggling mightily to make ends meets.

It's not just a place to donate foods (although you can), the Task Force is committed to prioritizing people's needs, helping them find work and providing what they need until they get back on their feet.

I'm all about helping the homeless and needy at home and abroad, but I love the concept of being involved with something where you can see the tangible results of your time and effort.

Click here for more information about the Parker Task Force

And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime
The greatest gift
they'll get this year is life
Where nothing ever grows
No rain nor rivers flow
Do they know it's Christmastime at all?

Finally, I mentioned in today's column that my Wife and I participated in a local outreach of many churches to provide Christmas presents to local families.

This was through an organization called SECOR. While the presents have already been delivered, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that they're not going to turn down any donations to help replenish the funds that they had to use for any gifts that were not selected off of area churches' trees.

Click here for more information about SECOR

(Here's to you) raise a glass for everyone
(Here's to them) underneath that burning sun

Do they know it's Christmastime at all?

I know that was a lot all at once and I'm not trying to pat ourselves on the back for anything that we're doing. You have to understand how much I LOVE doing this kind of stuff and am stoked to finally be in a place (physically and financially) to do more.

My heart is just crushed by the thought of some kid not having a Christmas present while I download another song off of iTunes or a family goes hungry while I throw away half of a fast food burger that I really didn't want in the first place.

Yeah, we're all strapped a little right now but I've always found that I am blessed the most when I'm trying to bless someone else.

We should all try that more.

Feel free to contact me at jmahler47@gmail.com or reply here at this site if you want more direct information on how to contribute to these or other outreach programs.

Feed the world
Feed the world
Feed the world
Let them know it's Christmastime again
Feed the world
Let them know it's Christmastime again

No comments: