Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Origins of Phrases - Need Your Help!

I'm tinkering with a column idea about the origins or everyday phrases that we use and I need your help!

I'm going to give you a list of common phrases below and you have ANY thoughts or educated guesses on how they might have gotten started (and no cheating!), feel free to let me know. Answer on any or all of them.

Also, if you do/don't want me to use your name in a potential column, let me know that as well...

Thanks! Can't wait to hear your answers (feel free to comment below are send me an email at
jmahler47@gmail.com).

Phrases:

- STEAL SOMEONE'S THUNDER


- CAUGHT RED-HANDED

- HAVE A SCREW LOOSE

- I'VE GOT A FROG IN MY THROAT

- MEET A DEADLINE

- SECOND STRING

- PULL SOMEONE'S LEG

- RAINING CATS AND DOGS

1 comment:

Charity Mack said...

"Raining Cats and Dogs" - didn't that come from the old days of thatched roofs and muddy floors? Basically if it was "pouring like cats and dogs" or is "raining cats and dogs" then that meant it was raining so hard that the poorly thatched roofs on the homes would let loose the critters that lived in them: rats, mice, cats, and I assume dogs, but boy does that sound weird - I just hope it was a small dog and not a St. Bernard or something!

-Charity Mack